Oct 14, 2014

Cthulhu...

I think this one is done. Check the bottom of this post to see all the different directions this piece took.



This started out as a rejected sketch from an old project: 

I flipped the sketch and tried something else that was intended to be a square format, but that didn't feel very epic: 


I liked the idea of the car running away, so I changed the format so that the car became the focus of kind of a silly story. This one was being formatted for a skateboard shape, but the 'story' just felt dopey: 


Finally I changed it up so that the story is simpler, more somber and quiet:


This was a composition and story I could live with. I had been, at the time, working on a Photoshop painting style. It's a good style, but incredibly tedious for all the tentacles and suction cups etc. I shelved the idea after a few frustrating misfires like this: 


Blechh. Well, this week I decided to take it off the shelf and finish it. 

See above.

1 comment:

Ronald said...

Man, I recall this in it's infancy and simply love the direction it took..the depth, the framing, the standoff...so neat!